A Night at Eden Park





Last Saturday we parked in the city, had dinner with some friends and took the train to Eden Park. Great train - actually reminds me of the London tubes! And the vibe was really good too - lots of excited, friendly fans on board. The train trip to Mt Eden is free and takes about 15 minutes. When you arrive, It's just a short walk to the stadium from the station. They were testing things out to see how it all worked so that they know how to improve things for the World Cup next year. Eden Park is very nearly finished and is looking good.

We got to the stadium and our seats were quite close to the field which was great - not the best seats, though, but we were at the game!!! Anyway, at half time, to my great excitement, I realized that our seats were on the tunnel where the players exited and entered the field! Woo Hoo! My heart was aflutter and I became a schoolgirl again when the boys came running by. Grant very kindly moved out of the way so that I could get high-fives from some of the players! Hahahaha! I held out my hand to John Smit, but I think he was feeling a bit down in the dumps at that stage 'cos he wasn't having any of it! But I did manage to touch 4 All Blacks! Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Keven Mealamu and Josevata Rokocoko high-fived/hand-tapped me. They had surprisingly soft hands for rugby players. Anyway, that was the highlight of my evening. I mean the rugby was a bit of a disappointment. It's not nice being a South African in New Zealand when the Springboks lose to the All Blacks. And then Bakkies Botha embarrasses us too. Oh well. Win some, lose some, I guess.

No comments