Monday, 19 July 2010

Rand Shmand, Dollar Shmollar

When we first got here, grocery shopping caused me much mental anguish. Let me explain. I'd go into the store and spend the entire time multiplying all the prices by 5 and a half. Now for those of you who know me well, you'll understand where the mental anguish comes in. You see, my mathematical ability is somewhat lacking. So, to be honest, I wasn't really multiplying by 5.5 at all - more like multiplying by 5 and adding a few dollars and cents. Anyway, to add insult to injury, not only is my maths poor, but my memory isn't doing too well either. I'd stand in front of the tomatoes and after doing my sums, I just couldn't remember what I'd paid for tomatoes back in SA anyway! In the end I'd leave the grocery store with very little food; and cooking dinner became quite a challenge as I would find that I didn't have all the ingredients I needed 'cos I'd thought they were just too expensive to purchase! I mean, really!

"No tomato in the salad?"

"No, they were just exorbitant!"

"Oh, how much are they?"

"$..."

"Really? That's not bad."

"&^*!! Oh, okay. I'll get some tomorrow then."

I really hate being ripped off and I was convinced that because I didn't know the price of things and whether one store was cheaper than another, that there was probably a much better deal to be had just around the corner. Anyway, as time has passed, I now know what things cost, what is a bargain, what is a bit expensive and which store is better than another for certain items. And, you guys! I've come to the slow realization that I've started thinking in dollars! Dude!!! I know!!! It just seems to creep up on you and next thing you know, you're part of the local economy. Ta-daa!

No comments:

Post a Comment