Driving and Other Related Things

Today I saw a bumper sticker that said: "Driver naked from the waist down." That must have been the reason he was driving so badly! Nah.  Just kidding.  (((cackling to herself)))

So anyway, speaking of driving, I must just say that I'm doing pretty well at finding my way around here on the Shore. If I do say so myself.  As a Capetonian, having a good sense of direction is not often acknowledged because a navigational beacon as big as Table Mountain makes for a hugely unfair advantage.  But here, with no such obvious beacon present, I've had the opportunity of putting my talent (haha) to use.  It's immensely satisfying to find short cuts, work out which roads link to which and eventually understand how all the suburbs fit together.

When we first arrived, I relied heavily on my mother when it came to finding my way around.  In those early days we clocked up many kilometres searching for furniture and storage units;  visiting many places where we had lunch or a coffee so that I could get to know my new city.  I so enjoyed all of those precious expeditions of learning and spending all that time with my mom.  And now, 7 months later, I feel quite confident that I can find my way around without getting lost.  (As I'm typing this I'm thinking that I'm probably setting myself up right now, aren't I?)

But while I have an innate ability to know which way to go (and much humility, it would seem - hehehe), I'm not stupid and so I must also admit that if I'm ever in doubt, I happily whip out the ol' Garmin and fire her up.  The irritating lady on the Garmin has also taught me lots, I'll give her that.

Oh well, here's a little snippet of information to put a smile on your dial:  Just the other day there was an article in the local paper about a South African who was offended by another South African's number plate which reads:  "UDoos".  Classic.  There's always one.

3 comments

  1. you are inspirational as a blogger. i love reading your bits and feel as if we can keep our regular friendship going across the miles. hope your next DW is to Perth. lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda. :) We will definitely come and visit you guys sometime. Luke would be so excited to see Adam again!! He still misses Oliver so much, poor guy. xx

    ReplyDelete