Bay of Islands

While Grant's parents were visiting, we wanted to show them some of the gorgeous places that everyone talks about when they say that New Zealand is so beautiful, so we packed our bags and headed off to the Bay of Islands, which is a 3 hour drive north of Auckland.


And being a 'bay of islands', we thought the best way to experience the area would be by boat, so we booked a few berths on the Ipipiri, a cruising ship based in Paihia.


Here is a video of what we experienced on board:





And I've got to say, it was all that and more; a truly brilliant cruise. Everything was just lovely. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the cabins - they were much bigger than we thought they'd be. And the food was delicious, and plentiful. (And no, sadly I'm not being paid to write this glowing review! Pffft!)


The activities were also exactly as they were described in the video. The kids chose to go scuba diving, Grant's parents opted for the beach walk and Geoff took his rod and went fishing on a kayak! He actually caught a good sized snapper, and after reeling it in, he threw it back! My mom and I, who were chilling on board, tried yelling "sashimi!" quite loudly from the boat, but sadly he didn't hear us! Damn shame, really. It would have complimented the prawn cocktail starter very nicely at dinner that evening.


Here's the gorgeous lounge on Ipipiri.
This was the view from our cabin as we were cruising along.
And here's me:
I couldn't believe what stunning views I had while doing my make-up!
PS You'd never say I'd had a migraine just a few hours earlier. Good make-up application, no?
PPS Or maybe you would and you're just being polite. In which case, thank you.
Ipipiri.
Oh, and we even got to see some dolphins! They put on a spectacular show for us which was a really wonderful surprise and elicited a good few 'oohs' and 'aahhs'. Of course it was the only time that I didn't have my camera with me. Oh well, you all know what dolphins look like as they jump out of the water, don't you?


One day we plan to go back and swim with them. That must be a truly magical experience. Definitely one for the bucket list.



4 comments

  1. Bianca, keep showing us these beautiful places and I might just be tempted to pop in for a visit!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are spoiled! And I can just tell how much Jen is enjoying having you there - how wonderful! Tx for Xmas invite, sadly not this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly - that boat looks a bit more luxuriuos than Louhans... like that bucket list entry - please take me with you - something I am dying to do. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll take you to swim with the dolphins when you come and visit. :)

    ReplyDelete