Friday, 6 May 2011

What I Did This Week



1. I did lots of laundry. But you already knew that.


2. I cleaned out the fridge and the grocery cupboard. And it was incredibly satisfying. Thought I'd share. 


3. I dodged a tornado by about 2 hours on Tuesday. Well, maybe not dodged. But seriously. My mom and I were at one of those malls until about 1pm that day!


Click on this link for a video of what happened:


Auckland tornado: Inside the Albany mall - Campbell Live - Video - 3 News


That's our local mall! We were at the Rebel Sport shop, a few shops away from the Placemakers that was totally destroyed! Unbelievable! As that one guy said: "Not your ordinary day." Dude! You can say that again. These are some wild times.


4. My mom and I went shopping in Ponsonby. Creepiest part of the day? The stuffed birds and animals that we saw in one of the stores! I'm not so sure about that whole taxidermy thing. Definitely kinda creepy.


5. While in Ponsonby, I had my first Burger Wisconsin burger and OMG! Why have I never had one of those before? This love affair is definitely ON. And they have a branch in the next bay down from us. Yay!


6. I tiptoed into my kid's bedroom last night and swopped a tooth for some coins. Yes, that's also kinda creepy, isn't it?


Luke has lost his first tooth! Woo Hoo!


7. I made a Fish and Kumara Gratin for dinner this week and it was 'easy as'. The kids weren't big fans, but Grant and I loved it. I found this recipe in The Foodtown Magazine a few months ago.


300g frozen hoki (fish), chopped into bite-sized pieces
400g kumara (sweet potato), peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
130g bag baby spinach
3 eggs
½ cup each: cream, sour cream
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to season
2 tablespoons chopped chives


Preheat the oven to 180〬C. Remove the fish from the freezer about 15 minutes before slicing it. It is easier to cut the fish if it is not fully frozen, but do not let it thaw.


Cook the kumara in a saucepan of boiling water until it is just soft. Drain and place the kumara chunks in a large bowl. Add the chopped fish and set aside.


Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the spring onions, garlic and thyme and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the spinach and stir until combined. Remove the pan from the heat. Place the spinach mixture in the bowl with the kumara and the fish.


In another bowl, place the eggs, cream, sour cream, mustard, salt, pepper and chives and mix until combined. Pour into the bowl with the fish mixture and combine gently.


Put into your oven dish and bake for 20 minutes.


Serves 6.


And that's the end of the story. 


xo















1 comment:

  1. well done luke! Russell and Adam each have a tooth hanging by a thread. The race is on!

    ReplyDelete