Kalk Bay Fisherman, Ek Sê



While holidaying in Cape Town recently, we visited a little seaside town called Kalk Bay where we ate fish and chips at a restaurant in the harbour and then walked along the pier to enjoy the gorgeous scenery of the surrounding area.




When we got to the lighthouse at the end of the pier, we took a closer look at the wooden structure of a fisherman that we had spotted earlier; and noticed a little plaque attached to it. 



And the lines inscribed on that plaque reflect a part of Cape Town that is so unique, so part of our history, so Cape Town, that it resonated quite profoundly with me that day. I took a photograph of it so that I could read it again. And remember. And linger in that familiarity for a while.





I apologize to my readers who cannot speak Afrikaans, one of the local languages in South Africa, as this is the language in which this plaque is written. I would love to translate this for you, but the beauty of the words and the meaning of the message would be sorely lost in translation, and any attempt I would make would certainly not do it justice.





1 comment

  1. Love it! Items such as that sign contain hundreds of years of character and "culture". Can't wait to visit Cape Town again myself with my children and hubby (who has not yet had the pleasure of experiencing SA). Carol

    ReplyDelete