Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Aren't Teenagers Fun?


Now let me start off by saying that my kid is 13. 

13!

So I'm only in the first year of this teenager thing! But damn! D-a-m-n!

I'm tired, you guys. Tired.

And changing my former game plan; 

and taking deep breaths. 

Whoa on this whole teenage thing! I seriously need a book or a class or something a little stronger than wine, is what I'm saying.

And really, my kid is just your typical teenager. It's me. I'm over here needing some lovin', general patting, words of empathy and encouragement - you get my drift...

And you know what? I'm not that old that I can't remember that I also slept in until lunch time. (Maybe my body knew that I'd be having three kids and wouldn't be getting much sleep later in life? Of course, at the time I thought I was growing and my body needed that time to stretch and fill out. Sad thing is I didn't get past 5f4in and a 34A. So really, what the hell was that about then?)

And I also remember my mother telling me that our house was not, in fact, a hotel. Much to my great surprise!

And one of my fondest memories is of coming home from school and sitting down in front of the TV with a large vanilla milkshake. Every day.

So, believe me when I say that I get those parts of the teenage years. The endless sleeping, TV and snacking. But either I was perfect (which I wasn't) or I seem to be forgetting the other parts. Oi! The parts where I exerted my independence. (Isn't that saying it nicely?)

Anyway, I'm writing this post because I need to. Heaven knows, those teenage years are tough on teenagers. All those emotions and hormones are not easy to deal with, I get it. I've been there.

And while I don't want any advice, I'd love to hear an "Amen, sista!" or a "I'm rooting for ya!" and lots of "Be strong, you're not alone!". Is all.

*******

Okay, so I know this often happens because it's top of mind, but while I was on pinterest recently, I came across this song. And I know it's certainly not mind-blowing - but it reassures me that I'm not alone.















5 comments:

  1. Call me unkind if you like but I love to be reminded that I'm not the only one who is "suffering" through the teenager years... :) Next month we will have three FEMALE teenagers in the house with a fourth one hot on their heels. I love them all to bits though and at this stage I still can't imagine my life post-teenager years! Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Carol! :) Life must be very interesting over at your house! ;D I've just got the ONE and I often really look forward to "gin 'o clock" around here. But as you say, we love them to bits. And thank goodness it's a phase! :D

      Delete
  2. Actually you were perfect, and you're still perfect! You're doing a great job, and Jess will be perfect too (one forgets those trying times)! But please don't resort to Country and Western music:) Good song though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! C&W music! Nah, I'm a contemporary rap chick, whatcha talkin'?! ;)

      Delete