Monday, 4 March 2013

Getting Real



Last week the kids went away on their school camps and man did I miss them!

I missed our morning routine. I missed seeing their faces after a long day at school. And I missed that general kid noise that seems to fill every corner of our home. This place just wasn't the same without them.

I was such a sad mama that I even thought I missed the horrible, very real bits - the awful grumpiness, the sibling squabbles, all the messiness that seems to take over our house when they're around.

***And then my husband shouted: "Stop smoking your socks, woman!"***

Anyway, it got me thinking that all those real moments in life - those crazy-in-your-face moments - those difficult parts - those are the parts of parenting that I really need to work on more around here. Quiet reflection definitely gives you that perspective. And yes, I know that I shouldn't take their grumpiness personally and that I will still be a fun person despite laying down the law firmly and acting like an ogre sometimes, but I really struggle with this every day. I often mess up. And then feel terrible. Thank goodness we get another chance with every new day - to try harder, to improve on how we deal with each situation. I'm so very grateful for these children of mine. They might drive me nuts at times, but they're a constant source of learning for me, a constant source of love. And I'm one lucky lady to have these precious people in my life.

Are you getting it right? What do you wish you could improve on?











No comments:

Post a Comment